- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large orange pepper
- 1-3 hot peppers, if desired
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 1-2 cups button mushrooms
- 12-15 roma tomatoes
- 2 large red tomatoes (or 1 can stewed tomatoes)
- 1-3 cups fresh salsa
- 2 medium onions
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, diced
- 1 cup kale chips, crumbled into powder
- 1 can chick peas, drained
- 1 can tri-bean blend, drained
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained
- 2-3 tbsp chili powder
- 1-2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1-2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all vegetables into desired size.
- Add vegetables to large sauce pan and include some of the juices from the salsa or stewed tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are about half cooked.
- Add all other ingredients and cook covered on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and tweak seasonings and serve.
If you dig hummus in your chili, but are avoiding fat, try mashing one of the cans of beans and either adding a dollop separately or adding it back to the chili–definitely creams it up!